(originally posted by The Mad Professor on CigarGeeks forum on 10-3-2011, modified for audience)
Picking up pipe smoking is cheap and easy, and quite rewarding. Like most endeavors, mastering it takes practice and time, but it's a lot of fun along the way. Don't be discouraged if you read how complicated some advanced smokers can make it, that's how they keep their hobby fun - you should start simple. So….
Why should you smoke a pipe?
• First, it is WAY cheaper per smoke than cigars (or even cigarettes)
• You can start smoking a pipe for $10 to $20
• Storing pipe tobacco is easy and doesn't need to be humidified (just mason jars)
• Many pipes are works of art too
• You can mix your own blends
• Some pipe blends (Virginias) age very well, similar to cigars but easier
• There are nearly as many types of pipe tobacco as there are cigars or beer to chose from - therefore something for everyone
• You can relight a pipe long after it went out without affecting the flavor of the tobacco (some smokers will take 2 days to finish a bowl!)
• Therefore, you can set your pipe down if you need to cut your smoke short (unlike a cigar or cigarette)
Also, less serious but still true...
• Most women love the aroma of aromatic tobaccos
• Your wife might let you smoke indoors
• A pipe rack looks really impressive on your desk (or in your living room)
• It's a good excuse to always have Everclear on hand (used for cleaning)
• Your kids will love making crafts with your pipe cleaners
• And lastly, pipe smokers are kind and wise... so if your a dumb a%#hole then it will help with your character
There are a few reasons against it too:
PAD and TAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder/Tobacco Aqc. Dis.) can be ridiculous. Look at an old pipe smokers cellar/collection!
Pipes can cost a lot, and you get what you pay for (within reason) with a new pipe. (Start with estate pipes, don't buy new!)
And maybe one or two more, but you can think of them yourself… I'm trying to get you to smoke a pipe, not quit!
More to come...Next post: How to Start Pipe Smoking!